Stuffed Bell Peppers
1 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice or short grain brown rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, then add onions and garlic, chopped basil and tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes (you may choose to let cool and blend for a smooth sauce or leave as is for chunky) Add Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.) A light coating of oil on the pan will prevent them from sticking.
- In a bowl, place the cooked rice, a portion of the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to taste if desired. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Take the remaining tomato mixture and pour over the stuffed peppers.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.