Lemon & Garlic Roasted Chicken with Fava Beans, Radishes, and Pecorino
This recipe was created by chef Ryan Hardy of the Little Nell in Aspen, Colorado. Modified for your Buyers’ Club box.
* 2 (3- to 4-pound) roasting chickens, necks and giblets removed and discarded, rinsed and patted dry
* 5 lisbon lemons, 2 cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, 2 halved
* 2 tablespoons kosher salt
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
* 2 heads garlic, halved with skins left on
* 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
* 2 bunches fresh oregano
* 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 cup fresh fava beans
*1 cup radishes, thinly sliced
* 2 cups loosely packed arugula leaves (from 2 bunches)
* 1 cup loosely packed spinach
* 1 package of Baby Shiitakes (whole)
* 1 package of White Button Mushroom (whole)
* 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves (from 1 bunch)
* 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (from 1 bunch)
* 1/2 cup loosely packed celery leaves (from 2 bunches celery)
* 1/2 cup Pecorino Toscano or other mild Italian sheep's milk cheese (less than 6 ounces), coarsely grated
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place chickens on rack set in large roasting pan. Starting at each cavity end, slide hand between skin and breast meat to loosen, being careful not to tear skin. Arrange lemon slices under skin to cover breast meat.
Season each cavity with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stuff each with both baby shiitakes, white button, halved lemons, garlic, rosemary, and oregano.
Flip wings of each chicken back and tuck under body. Using pastry brush, brush 3 tablespoons oil over skin of each chicken, then sprinkle each with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Tie legs together loosely with kitchen string.
Roast chickens, basting with pan juices every 15 minutes, until skins are crisp golden-brown and juices run clear when thighs are pierced, about 55 to 60 minutes. (Instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast should register 170°F.) Remove from oven, then remove lemons. Leave the mushrooms and herbs. Reserve pan drippings. Transfer chickens to carving board and tent with foil to keep warm.
In 2-quart pot of boiling water, blanch fresh fava beans 1 minute. Drain, then immediately transfer to medium bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain. Slip outer skin off each bean and discard skin; place beans in medium bowl. Add radishes, arugula, spinach, mint, parsley, celery leaves, cheese, and toss to combine. Stir in lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Divide fava bean and radish salad among 10 plates. Carve chickens and arrange pieces atop each portion of salad. Spoon pan drippings over.