1 1/2 lb broccoli
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp grated ginger root -- fresh
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c water chestnuts -- fresh or canned
3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
3 tbsp dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp dark sesame oil
3 tbsp dry white wine -- or gin
1. Cut broccoli heads into florets.
2. Peel and thinly slice stems.
3. Blanch broccoli for 2 to 3 minutes in lightly salted boiling water.
4. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a nonstick wok or frying pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
6. Add ginger and garlic, and saute until fragrant.
7. Add pepper, broccoli, and water chestnuts.
8. Mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil, and add to broccoli.
9. Add wine or gin, cover, and cook for 1 minute.
10. Transfer vegetables to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Recipe from: All-American Vegetarian: A Regional Harvest of 200 Low-Fat Recipes by Barbara Grunes and Virginia Van Vynckt