3 pounds of Swiss chard, kale or curly endive
2 T. olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 T. Basil’s Harvest Red Wine Herbal Blend
- Remove and discard the stems from the greens.* This is called “deboning”. Tear the leaves into small pieces. Shake off the excess water but do not dry the greens.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onions over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the greens to the pan and stir to coat the leaves with oil. Add the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Cover 5-7 minutes until the leaves are tender. Remove the lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the vinegar and stir.
* Freeze the stems and they can be added to soups later.
Serve as a side dish, on crostini with parmesan cheese, with pasta or polenta.
Makes 4 servings.
Total Fat: 8 g
Carbohydrate: 21 g
Protein: 9 g
Fiber: 7 g