1 medium eggplant
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
3 large tomatoes or 2 c. canned tomatoes
1 small green pepper
1 small onion, chopped
1 t. salt
1 T. brown sugar
1 bay leaf
2 cloves (not garlic, the little black cloves)
½ - ¾ c. bread crumbs
Dots of butter
- Peel eggplant and dice. Boil for 12 minutes. Drain and place into greased baking dish.
- Melt butter, add flour, and stir well.
- Add tomatoes, peppers, and onion to butter and flour. Add salt, brown sugar, bay leaf, and cloves. Cook 5 – 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cloves. Pour mixture over eggplant in baking dish.
- Cover with bread crumbs and dot with butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.