1 small onion, diced
3 medium beets with greens
3 C boiling water
4 T butter
1 C long-grain rice
1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan
1 T horseradish
1. Trim beet leaves and wash in cool water. Cut greens and stems into 1/2-inch wide slices. Peel and dice beets.
2. In saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in butter until clear colored.
3. Add beets and stems. Cook while stirring for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in rice and cook while stirring for 1 minute. Stir in 1 C water and simmer until absorbed.
5. Stir in beet greens. Continue to cook adding 1/2 C water at a time while constantly stirring until all water is absorbed. It is ready when rice is tender and creamy-looking but still al dente.
6. Remove from pan and stir in cheese and horseradish.